Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2023 Governor's State of the State speeches
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2023 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Andy Beshear (9) Kentucky Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Bill Lee (10) Tennessee Republican Governor of Tennessee
- Brad Little (7) Idaho Republican
- Brian Kemp (6) Georgia Republican candidate for Governor
- Chris Sununu (7) New Hampshire Republican Governor
- Dan McKee (5) Rhode Island Democratic candidate for governor
- Doug Burgum (8) North Dakota Republican Governor
- Eric Holcomb (4) Indiana Republican candidate for Governor
- Glenn Youngkin (11) Virginia Republican challenger for Governor
- Greg Abbott (9) Texas Republican Governor
- Greg Gianforte (8) Montana Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Gretchen Whitmer (11) Michigan Democratic Governor
- Henry McMaster (9) South Carolina Republican
- J.B. Pritzker (8) Illinois Democratic Illinois Governor
- Janet Mills (7) Maine Democratic Maine Governor
- Jared Polis (8) Colorado Democratic candidate for Colorado Governor
- Jay Inslee (6) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- Jim Justice (6) West Virginia Democratic governor
- Jim Pillen (9) Nebraska Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Joe Lombardo (10) Nevada Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- John Carney (4) Delaware Democratic candidate for Governor
- Josh Green (9) Hawaii Democratic challenger for Governor
- Kathy Hochul (8) New York Democratic Lt. Governor
- Katie Hobbs (11) Arizona Democratic Challenger
- Kevin Stitt (10) Oklahoma Republican Governor of Oklahoma
- Kim Reynolds (7) Iowa Republican
- Kristi Noem (10) South Dakota Republican
- Laura Kelly (8) Kansas Democratic candidate for governor of Kansas
- Mark Gordon (6) Wyoming Republican Governor of Wyoming
- Michelle Lujan-Grisham (10) New Mexico Democrat
- Mike DeWine (6) Ohio Republican candidate for Governor
- Mike Dunleavy (5) Alaska Republican Governor of Alaska
- Mike Parson (6) Missouri Republican governor of Missouri
- Ned Lamont (6) Connecticut Democratic Governor
- Phil Murphy (11) New Jersey Democratic 2021 Gubernatorial contender
- Spencer Cox (8) Utah Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Tate Reeves (10) Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
- Tony Evers (8) Wisconsin Democratic Governor of Wisconsin
- Wes Moore (7) Maryland Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Ohio 2023 State of the State Address, January 31, 2023 (Link)
- Mississippi 2023 State of the State Address, January 30, 2023 (Link)
- Montana 2023 State of the State Address, January 25, 2023 (Link)
- South Carolina 2023 State of the State Address, January 25, 2023 (Link)
- Georgia 2023 State of the State Address, January 25, 2023 (Link)
- Nebraska 2023 State of the State Address, January 25, 2023 (Link)
- Michigan 2023 State of the State Address, January 25, 2023 (Link)
- Wisconsin 2023 State of the State FactCheck by CDC, downloaded January 25, 2023 (Link)
- Wisconsin 2023 State of the State Address, January 24, 2023 (Link)
- Kansas 2023 State of the State Address, January 24, 2023 (Link)
- Nevada 2023 State of the State Address, January 23, 2023 (Link)
- Hawai'i 2023 State of the State Address, January 23, 2023 (Link)
- Alaska 2023 State of the State Address, January 23, 2023 (Link)
- Utah 2023 State of the State Address, January 19, 2023 (Link)
- Delaware 2023 State of the State Address, January 19, 2023 (Link)
- Missouri 2023 State of the State Address, January 18, 2023 (Link)
- New Mexico 2023 State of the State Address, January 17, 2023 (Link)
- Rhode Island 2023 State of the State Address, January 17, 2023 (Link)
- Colorado 2023 State of the State Address, January 17, 2023 (Link)
- Virginia 2023 State of the Commonwealth Address, January 11, 2023 (Link)
- West Virginia 2023 State of the State Address, January 11, 2023 (Link)
- Wyoming 2023 State of the State Address, January 11, 2023 (Link)
- South Dakota Common Cause explanation of ALEC program, downloaded Jan. 11, 2023 (Link)
- South Dakota 2023 State of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- New Jersey 2023 State of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- Indiana 2023 State of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- Iowa Condition of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- New York 2023 State of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- Washington 2023 State of the State Address, January 10, 2023 (Link)
- Arizona State of the State Address, January 9, 2023 (Link)
- Idaho 2023 State of the State and Budget Address, January 9, 2023 (Link)
- Connecticut State of the State Address, January 4, 2023 (Link)
- Kentucky State of the Commonwealth Address, January 4, 2023 (Link)
- North Dakota State of the State Address, January 3, 2023 (Link)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Greg Gianforte: Our commitment to unborn babies will never waver.
Gretchen Whitmer: Let's repeal our extreme 1931 law banning abortion.
Henry McMaster: Confident that Fetal Heartbeat bill is constitutional.
Jay Inslee: Protect fundamental right to reproductive freedom.
Jim Pillen: Nebraskans have been praying for 50 years to end abortion.
Katie Hobbs: My administration will always protect reproductive freedom.
Kim Reynolds: A pro-life state surrounds everyone with love and support.
Mike Dunleavy: Most pro-life state, make it OK again to have kids.
Spencer Cox: New tax credit for all children--the born and the unborn.
Tate Reeves: Overturning Roe greatest conservative accomplishment.
Glenn Youngkin: 15 week limit: Virginians want fewer abortions, not more.
Bill Lee: $100M grant program to partner with crisis pregnancy clinics.
J.B. Pritzker: Won't accept women losing rights, expanded pool of providers.
Budget & Economy|
Andy Beshear: Our mission is to move our families out of the floodplain.
Andy Beshear: Bringing new prosperity to every corner of the commonwealth.
Andy Beshear: Our Eisenhower moment: investing more in infrastructure.
Brad Little: Investing in local infrastructure IS property tax relief.
Brian Kemp: Partner with local governments on workforce housing.
Dan McKee: Quarter billion dollar investment in creating more housing.
Dan McKee: $2B for 137 state infrastructure projects moving forward.
Doug Burgum: We've made great progress on our 10-year infrastructure plan.
Eric Holcomb: Indiana has become known for our responsible budgets.
Gretchen Whitmer: Sustainable funding for our economic development efforts.
Gretchen Whitmer: I will continue finding ways to keep fixing the damn roads.
Henry McMaster: Save money instead of spending it to prepare for the future.
Henry McMaster: Complete infrastructure projects: roads, bridges, highways.
Jared Polis: Invested billions in housing, but can't just our way out .
Jim Pillen: Agencies must focus on what is needed, not what is nice.
Jim Pillen: Infrastructure needs are more important than ever before.
Joe Lombardo: We're buying with cash instead of credit.
Kathy Hochul: Housing Compact has goal of 800,000 new homes in a decade.
Mark Gordon: Old and crumbling infrastructure must be addressed.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Infrastructure brings jobs and opportunity to our state.
Mike DeWine: $2.5B to prepare infrastructure of large development sites.
Ned Lamont: Small business boost fund invested in over 100 new companies.
Phil Murphy: Netflix production hub shows NJ is ready for our close up.
Phil Murphy: More than $1B to support revitalizing our downtowns.
Tate Reeves: Economic boom due to fiscally conservative principles.
Tony Evers: $150M for small business & Innovation Grants.
Tony Evers: Repaired over 5800 miles of roads, nearly 1600 bridges.
Bill Lee: Public-private partnerships to modernize transportation.
J.B. Pritzker: Illinois has passed four balanced budgets in a row.
J.B. Pritzker: Illinois Grocery Initiative to open/expand local grocers.
Wes Moore: We can invest today while also preparing for the future.
Gretchen Whitmer: Let's repeal outdated laws restricting who you can marry.
Tate Reeves: Radical liberals attempt to undermine scientific truths.
Dan McKee: Eliminate litter tax, a big nuisance for small business.
Janet Mills: Direct economic relief to nearly 1000 small businesses.
Brad Little: While others seek to defund the police, we DEFEND the police.
Brian Kemp: Come after our children, and we will come after you!
Henry McMaster: Keep career criminals behind bars & carry out executions.
Jared Polis: Crack down on auto theft, propose tougher sentencing.
Jim Pillen: Meet programming needs of inmates to reduce recidivism.
Joe Lombardo: Make it harder--not easier--to commit a crime in Nevada.
John Carney: Expand group intervention program to reduce gun violence.
Josh Green: Move toward restorative approach not strictly punitive.
Kathy Hochul: I stand by bail reform but there's room for improvement.
Kim Reynolds: Treat fentanyl crimes as atrocities, increase penalties.
Mark Gordon: Create Ashanti Alert System for notice of missing adults .
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Keep high-risk violent offenders behind bars before trial.
Mike Dunleavy: For the first time in Alaska history, no actually means no.
Phil Murphy: Top priority is tightening laws against car theft.
Glenn Youngkin: Tougher penalties for those who commit crimes with guns.
Bill Lee: At least one Homeland Security Agent in each of our counties.
Greg Abbott: Activist judges use low bail to let out dangerous criminals.
Andy Beshear: Time for General Assembly to legalize medical cannabis.
Laura Kelly: Time for Kansas to finally legalize medical marijuana.
Mike Dunleavy: Increase penalty for fentanyl deaths from 20 to 99 years.
Glenn Youngkin: Make sale of deadly drugs a felony homicide.
Greg Abbott: Treat fentanyl deaths as poisonings, prosecute as murders.
Janet Mills: Expert in substance abuse for every child welfare district.
Kevin Stitt: We have deactivated over 800 illegal marijuana farms.
Andy Beshear: 5% pay raise to address public school teacher shortage.
Brad Little: Support public schools AND educational freedom.
Brad Little: $8500 scholarship for in-state post-high school education.
Brian Kemp: We have given teachers a $7,000 pay raise in just five years.
Brian Kemp: HOPE Scholarship and Grant awards now cover 100% of tuition.
Dan McKee: Plan to reach Massachusetts education levels by 2030.
Eric Holcomb: State should cover cost of "curriculum fees" paid by parents.
Greg Gianforte: Let's empower parents to choose what's best for their family.
Gretchen Whitmer: A free, public preschool education for every 4-year-old.
Gretchen Whitmer: Goal: 60% earn a degree or skills certificate by 2030.
Henry McMaster: Parents may choose public, private, or for-profit pre-K.
Jared Polis: Ensure access to career-connected learning in high schools.
Jim Justice: Make all curriculum available online for parents to see.
Jim Pillen: Utilize community colleges to train students in the trades.
Jim Pillen: $50 million for scholarships outside of public education .
Joe Lombardo: $2 billion in new K-12 funding, and I expect results.
Joe Lombardo: Will create the Office of School Choice for every option.
John Carney: Increase state investments in early childhood education.
Katie Hobbs: We must immediately override archaic funding cap .
Katie Hobbs: Vouchers lack accountability; will likely bankrupt the state.
Katie Hobbs: It's not an educator shortage; it's a retention crisis.
Katie Hobbs: Expand Arizona Promise Scholarship Program for state college.
Kim Reynolds: Create education savings accounts for private schooling.
Kristi Noem: Scholarships for foster kids includes private school tuition.
Laura Kelly: My budgets will fully fund schools every year I'm Governor.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: College enrollment has increased for first time in a decade.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: New constitutional right to early childhood education.
Mike DeWine: Expand eligibility for EdChoice scholarship program.
Mike DeWine: Use the evidence-based approaches of the Science of Reading.
Spencer Cox: The largest variable in student outcomes is the teacher.
Tate Reeves: We need more choice; we need more freedom.
Tate Reeves: Won't require pronouns that fail to correspond with reality.
Tony Evers: Invest $20 million to increase literacy-related programming.
Glenn Youngkin: We must provide choice within the public school system.
Bill Lee: Our goal is to train 10,000 new skilled workers a year.
Bill Lee: Strive for best public schools, provide choices for parents.
Chris Sununu: More funding for Charters, double Education Freedom Accounts.
Greg Abbott: Schools should not push woke agendas, period.
Greg Abbott: Reward community colleges that produce employable Texans.
J.B. Pritzker: State and Pell grants make community college tuition-free.
J.B. Pritzker: Allow pre-school access for every three and four year old.
Janet Mills: Free community college is working; let's keep it up.
Kevin Stitt: Providing more options for students leads to better outcomes.
Kevin Stitt: Fewer DEI officers for schools; more career placement.
Wes Moore: End the myth that every job requires a college education .
Energy & Oil|
Andy Beshear: Kentucky is the electric vehicle battery production capital.
Doug Burgum: North Dakota takes and all-of-the-above approach.
Doug Burgum: Providing a viable path forward for coal has been a priority.
Doug Burgum: On our way toward achieving carbon neutrality by 2030 .
Henry McMaster: South Carolina moving with auto industry towards electric.
Jared Polis: We simply must end our reliance on costly fossil fuels.
Jim Justice: I believe we need to welcome all sources of energy.
Joe Lombardo: Seek energy independence rather than rely on wider market.
John Carney: Build out Delaware electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
Josh Green: Hydrogen technology has potential to make us energy exporter.
Kathy Hochul: EmPower Plus helps low-income families retrofit their homes.
Kathy Hochul: End new fossil-fuel-powered heating equipment by 2030.
Mark Gordon: It is undeniable that coal remains a vital fuel source.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Codify our zero-emissions goal in state statute.
Ned Lamont: Control our energy supply chain so Putin and Saudis can't.
Phil Murphy: Primed to be a leader on the East Coast in offshore-wind.
Glenn Youngkin: Let's set realistic carbon reduction goals every five years.
Bill Lee: Tennessee should be the leader in nuclear energy for America.
Greg Abbott: Build a power grid strong enough for the next century.
Janet Mills: 100% of our electricity to come from clean energy by 2040.
Kevin Stitt: Let's continue to embrace our "More of Everything" approach.
Jay Inslee: Continue to fight against climate change & salmon extinction.
Katie Hobbs: I plan to tackle our water issues openly and directly.
Laura Kelly: Fully fund State Water Plan; water supply is diminishing.
Mark Gordon: More than 30 lawsuits challenging federal overreach.
Spencer Cox: We not going to let the Great Salt Lake disappear.
Tony Evers: More than $100M to take a three-pronged approach on PFAS.
Janet Mills: Strengthen our ability to detect and mitigate PFAS.
Families & Children|
Greg Gianforte: $5000 adoption tax credit; $7500 adopting out of foster care.
Jim Pillen: Special Education fund: never give up on a single kid.
Josh Green: Up to $10,000 child care tax credit for working families.
Kathy Hochul: Streamline and centralize the child care application process.
Kristi Noem: Expand family leave benefits to 100% of salary for 12 weeks.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Healthy, universal and free meals for every student.
Mike DeWine: Repeal the State's sales tax on critical infant supplies.
Mike Parson: Increase Child Care Subsidy rates to child care providers.
Spencer Cox: Prevent social media companies from collecting kids' data.
Tate Reeves: Make Mississippi the easiest place to raise a family.
Tony Evers: 54% of Wisconsinites today live in a child care desert.
Bill Lee: Extending post-partum Medicaid coverage is pro-life.
Bill Lee: Paid parental-leave for state workers, no business mandate.
J.B. Pritzker: Childcare for those in a job search or job training program.
Kevin Stitt: Ban all gender transition surgeries & therapies for minors.
Kristi Noem: Chinese Communist Party is our greatest external challenge.
Kristi Noem: Can't allow Chinese interests to purchase South Dakota land.
Phil Murphy: New Jersey proudly stands with the people of Ukraine.
Kevin Stitt: We will protect Oklahoma from the Communist Party of China.
Josh Green: Reposition our economy to pursue global opportunities.
Mike Parson: Invest in semiconductor manufacturing, won't rely on China.
Glenn Youngkin: Prohibit Chinese Communist tech & purchases of farmland.
Doug Burgum: We need Farm Freedom legislation, and we need it now! .
Gretchen Whitmer: Expand voting rights, protect election workers.
Jared Polis: Most important thing is to protect our waterways and rights.
Joe Lombardo: End universal mail-in ballots; require voter ID.
Josh Green: We must be open, transparent, and accountable to the people.
Katie Hobbs: Close water poaching loophole that's being exploited.
Kim Reynolds: Put a moratorium on new rulemaking, assess existing rules.
Mike DeWine: Consolidate services in new Dept. of Children and Youth.
Mike Dunleavy: A moral obligation to fulfill the promise of statehood.
Spencer Cox: Government decisions are major drivers in price of a home.
Chris Sununu: We are committed to breaking down regulatory barriers.
Kevin Stitt: Oklahomans deserve to know who's funding political campaigns.
Wes Moore: Fill the jobs we desperately need; eliminate ones we don't.
Dan McKee: I'm ready to sign a ban on sale of assault style weapons.
Gretchen Whitmer: It's time for commonsense action to reduce gun violence.
Jay Inslee: Require safety training; ban assault weapons.
Kathy Hochul: Developed new strategies to deal with rise in gun violence.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Ban assault weapons; civil suits against manufacturers.
Greg Abbott: Mandatory minimum sentence for illegally possessing guns.
Andy Beshear: We've provided more than $2 billion to Kentucky hospitals.
Andy Beshear: Expanded Medicaid to including dental, hearing, vision.
Brad Little: Make behavioral health services more accessible.
Josh Green: Invest in healthcare providers so we remain the health state.
Brian Kemp: State Pathways to Coverage rather than Medicaid expansion.
Brian Kemp: $4.5M in loan repayments to increase healthcare workers.
Eric Holcomb: Address mental health, addiction, suicide, & public health.
Henry McMaster: Increase mental and behavioral health services.
Jared Polis: Time to hold healthcare industry accountable for high costs.
Jay Inslee: Community-based behavioral health care is what works.
Joe Lombardo: $17 million expansion of mental health services.
Joe Lombardo: Substantially revise or repeal the Public Option.
Kathy Hochul: $1B and critical policy changes for mental health care.
Kim Reynolds: Increase funding for health care apprenticeship program.
Kristi Noem: Vaccine mandates stand in the way of business expansion.
Kristi Noem: $1.1M for pregnancy/postpartum care for Medicaid recipients.
Laura Kelly: Expand Medicaid; guarantee mental health care.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Expanding Medicaid will lead to universal health care state.
Mike Dunleavy: No COVID vaccine mandate; but expand Medicaid.
Mike Parson: $4.3M to address unacceptable maternal mortality rate.
Tate Reeves: Seek free market solutions to disrupt traditional healthcare.
Tony Evers: New resources to expand school-based mental health services.
Glenn Youngkin: $230M to build strong, stable behavioral health safety net.
Chris Sununu: The demand for mental health services remains high.
Greg Abbott: Prohibit government from imposing COVID restrictions forever.
J.B. Pritzker: Fund early intervention services for infants and toddlers.
Janet Mills: Independent of Medicaid we're also providing dental care.
Doug Burgum: Budgeted to create a North Dakota Military Museum.
Jim Justice: $5000 incentive for veterans to move to West Virginia.
Chris Sununu: Created first Veterans Campus with housing & services.
Brad Little: Secure the border to stop supply of fentanyl from Mexico.
Greg Gianforte: Secure our southern border now, stop neglecting it.
Katie Hobbs: $40M for scholarships regardless of immigration status.
Katie Hobbs: Support border communities, push for immigration reform.
Greg Abbott: Texas is the only state in US to build its own border wall.
Greg Gianforte: We quadrupled the number of apprenticeship opportunities.
John Carney: Today we have more jobs than we have people to fill them.
Kathy Hochul: I am proposing a plan to peg the minimum wage to inflation.
Kim Reynolds: We passed badly needed collective bargaining reform.
Laura Kelly: Increase funding for Office of Registered Apprenticeship.
Mike Parson: Investing $3M to expand apprenticeship opportunities.
Ned Lamont: Medical leave & expanded childcare helps working people .
Phil Murphy: Minimum wage up to $14.13/hour, will help more than 400,000.
Phil Murphy: Not every new job is going to be housed in a physical office.
Wes Moore: Create Service Year Option for young people to give back.
Principles & Values|
Andy Beshear: I have faith in God and faith in us.
Greg Gianforte: Make Montana a sanctuary for freedom and free enterprise.
Gretchen Whitmer: Our message is simple: we will fight for your freedom.
Gretchen Whitmer: My fellow Michiganders, we live in a special place.
Jared Polis: Colorado is unique; we always have been.
Jay Inslee: We can't be number one in everything but we sure come close.
Jim Justice: All the goodness in West Virginia is because of God above.
Josh Green: Important to bring us together as one ohana, one family.
Joe Lombardo: The Nevada Way: never give up; never stop dreaming.
Katie Hobbs: Let's work together, not chase conspiracy theories.
Kristi Noem: South Dakotans build the American Dream by working hard.
Kristi Noem: I believe South Dakota is the freest state in the nation.
Kristi Noem: We're in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
Laura Kelly: My message is this: Continue to meet me in the middle.
Mark Gordon: Something about our western culture is simply extraordinary.
Ned Lamont: Just turned 69; getting older is kind of liberating.
Phil Murphy: NGA: More respect and friendship; less partisanship.
Phil Murphy: It's okay to admit it: it's cool to be from New Jersey again.
Spencer Cox: Vice Chairman of the National Governors Association.
Spencer Cox: It is for the free people of Utah to dictate our destiny.
Spencer Cox: Real power in pleading for help from a higher authority.
Tate Reeves: Never give into cynics who seek to tear down our great state.
Tate Reeves: Blessed by one common God who smiles down upon Mississippi.
Glenn Youngkin: Faith seared in our heart by loving, almighty Creator.
Bill Lee: Elites don't always know best; everyday American people do.
Chris Sununu: Government not here to guarantee solutions to your problems.
J.B. Pritzker: In Illinois, we don't hide from the truth; we embrace it.
Kevin Stitt: We have brought the American Dream back to Oklahoma.
Wes Moore: We all want what's best for the people we represent.
Jim Pillen: Exempt Social Security income from state taxes by next year.
Laura Kelly: Raise threshold for taxing Social Security to $100,000.
Brad Little: We created a fair, predictable, and lower flat income tax.
Doug Burgum: Should adopt the lowest flat-rate income tax in the nation.
Greg Gianforte: Provide relief to Montana taxpayers at every income level.
Gretchen Whitmer: Lower the retirement tax; expand Working Families Tax Credit.
Henry McMaster: We passed the largest income tax cut in state history.
Henry McMaster: $2000 income tax credit for police & other first responders.
Jared Polis: Colorado first state allowing deferral of some property tax .
Jim Justice: Reduce personal income tax by 50% over three years.
Jim Pillen: We all agree: we are taxed way too much.
Joe Lombardo: Raise Commerce Tax exemption; suspend fuel tax.
Josh Green: Every income bracket will be paying less state income tax.
Katie Hobbs: Child tax credit for families earning less than $40K/year .
Kim Reynolds: On a path to the 4th lowest income-tax rate in the country.
Kristi Noem: What to do with surplus? My answer is simple: cut taxes.
Laura Kelly: Axe the tax on groceries, diapers, feminine hygiene products.
Mark Gordon: $1M to extend the Property Tax Refund Program for a year.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Tax cuts for middle class, make system more progressive.
Mike DeWine: New tax credits to encourage home construction, ownership.
Mike Parson: We passed the largest income tax cut in our state's history.
Ned Lamont: I don't want more taxes, I want more taxpayers.
Ned Lamont: Now is the time to enact a meaningful middle-class tax cut.
Phil Murphy: We outpace states that give huge tax breaks for the wealthy.
Tate Reeves: We will eliminate our state's income tax once and for all.
Tony Evers: Big tax breaks for wealthiest 20% of earners is reckless.
Glenn Youngkin: Eliminated grocery tax; look forward to more tax breaks.
Glenn Youngkin: Increase standard deduction; $1B of surplus for tax relief.
Bill Lee: Break from grocery tax, $150M tax relief to small business.
Chris Sununu: Unlike other states, we don't raise taxes to meet our needs.
Greg Abbott: Pass the largest property tax cut in the history of Texas.
Kevin Stitt: Eliminate state grocery tax; reduce income tax rate to 3.99%.
Wes Moore: $40,000 tax exemption on military retirement income.
Doug Burgum: Goal is to be first state with 100% broadband access .
Eric Holcomb: We're investing in infrastructure in all 92 counties.
Greg Gianforte: $200M for water & sewer infrastructure, and housing.
Mike Parson: If we can put electricity in every home, we can do broadband.
Tony Evers: More than $340 million into expanding high-speed internet.
Glenn Youngkin: Prohibit tech companies from selling children's data.
Chris Sununu: $5M towards a computer science initiative in schools.
Kevin Stitt: Get high-speed internet access to 95% of the state by 2028.
Welfare & Poverty|
Jay Inslee: $4B to speed up construction of new housing and shelters.
Jim Justice: We've got to say we're going to stop hunger in West Virginia.
Josh Green: Safe, affordable, and stable housing is a human right.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: $100M for housing programs, we need thousands more homes.
Janet Mills: Housing First legislation addresses chronic homelessness.
Wes Moore: We can and we will end child poverty in Maryland.
The above quotations are from 2023 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2023 State of the Union speech, plus GOP, Working Family, & MAGA responses
- 2023 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2022 State of the Union speech, plus GOP, Libertarian, progressive, & QAnon responses
- 2022 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2021 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Republican Party
- 2021 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2020 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2020 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: