Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2021 California Gubernatorial recall
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2021 CA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Caitlyn Jenner (16) California Recall challenger for Governor
- Doug Ose (13) California Republican recall candidate for Governor
- Gavin Newsom (4) California Democratic Challenger
- John Cox (15) California Republican candidate for California Governor
- Kevin Faulconer (30) California Republican candidate for governor
- Kevin Paffrath (8)
- Larry Elder (2) California Republican candidaite for Recall
- Republican Party (1)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Associated Press explanation: California scheduled a Sept. 14 recall election that could drive Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom from office, the result of a political uprising largely driven by angst over state coronavirus orders that shuttered schools and businesses and upended life for millions of Californians. The date was set by Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis, a Democrat, after election officials certified, in late June 2021, that enough valid petition signatures had been turned in (1.5 million) to qualify the election for the ballot.
Ballotpedia explanation: The recall election will present voters with two questions. The first will ask whether Newsom should be recalled from the office of governor. The second will ask who should succeed Newsom if he is recalled. A majority vote is required on the first question for the governor to be recalled. The candidate with the most votes on the second question would win the election, no majority required. In the 2003 recall of Gov. Gray Davis, 135 candidates ran and the winner received 48.6 percent of the vote.
2021 California Gubernatorial Recall coverage:
- CNN.com, "California Gov. Gavin Newsom defeated a recall effort. Here are some key takeaways.," 9/15/21
- Associated Press, "California Gov. Gavin Newsom beats back GOP-led recall," by Kathleen Ronayne and Michael R. Blood, 9/15/21
- The Hill, "Seven takeaways from California's recall election," by Reid Wilson, 09/15/21
- Cal Matters, "Who is Kevin Paffrath and what would he do as governor?," by Ben Christopher, August 25, 2021
- San Francisco Chronicle (SFGate.com), "Maybe-future California governor Kevin Paffrath got mad at me over a joke, so I interviewed him," by Drew Magary, Aug. 24, 2021
- San Diego Union-Tribune, "Q&A: Kevin Paffrath, recall candidate for California governor," Aug. 13, 2021
- Cal Matters, "Four things to know about the Newsom recall debate," by Ben Christopher and Laurel Rosenhall, August 5, 2021
- CNN Politics, "Republicans vying to replace Newsom in California recall attack his handling of Covid-19 in debate," by Maeve Reston, August 5, 2021
- Associated Press, "Republicans aim at GOP base in 1st California recall debate," by Michael R. Blood and Kathleen Ronayne, August 5, 2021
- Redheaded Blackbelt Blog, "Republican Candidates for California State Governor Talk Cannabis, Water, and Rural Life," by Matt LaFever, August 2, 2021
- Sacramento Bee, "GOP recall candidate says he wants Californians to get vaccinated--but won't require it," by Lara Korte, July 31, 2021
- Los Angeles Times, "Where the Republicans running to replace Newsom in the recall say they stand on the issues," by George Skelton, July 19, 2021
- Fox News, "Larry Elder sounds off on media coverage following campaign launch," by Cortney O'Brien, July 16, 2021
- Politico.com, "Caitlyn Jenner Wants to Turn Celebrity Into Power. But Why?," by Michael Kruse, 06/04/2021
- Fox News, "California gov hopeful Kevin Faulconer proposes tax plan to make veterans 'taxed less and housed more'," by Bradford Betz, May 26, 2021
- CNN Politics: "Caitlyn Jenner says she didn't vote for Trump in 2020 and skipped the election to play golf," by Maeve Reston, May 12, 2021
- Politico.com, "Jenner says she's 'kind of' a Republican," by Jeremy B. White and Carla Marinucci, 05/10/2021
- Fox News transcript: Sean Hannity interview, "Caitlyn Jenner: I've watched California crumble right before my eyes," May 6, 2021
- Los Angeles Times, "GOP has unique edge in Newsom recall election--a lower bar to success," by Seema Mehta, April 2, 2021
- Fox News, "California Republican gubernatorial candidate Kevin Faulconer says school closures 'not based on science'," by Audrey Conklin, 4/1/21
- Times of San Diego, "Faulconer Trolls Newsom with Website Collecting Stories of EDD Problems," by Chris Jennewein, March 26, 2021
- The San Francisco Chronicle, "Pandemic Exit Interviews: Gavin Newsom opponent Kevin Faulconer on what he'd have done differently," by Eric Ting, March 24, 2021
- Sacramento Bee, "Republican Doug Ose says he'll run against Gavin Newsom if recall qualifies," by Lara Korte, March 16, 2021
- Politico.com, "Former GOP congressman Ose announces California recall bid," by Jeremy B. White, 03/16/2021
- The Hill e-zine, "Former GOP lawmaker jumps into California recall election," by Tal Axelrod, 03/16/21
- Spectrum News-1, "John Cox Targets Gov. Gavin Newsom in New Campaign," by Nick Stoffel and Alex Cohen, Mar. 13, 2021
- Bay Area Reporter, "LGBTQ stances trail Faulconer's GOP CA gubernatorial bid," by Matthew S. Bajko, Feb 17, 2021
- San Diego Union Tribune, "Opinion: I want to recall and replace Gov. Gavin Newsom because I won't make problems worse like he does," by John Cox, Feb. 12, 2021
- San Diego Union Tribune, "Opinion: I want to recall and replace Gov. Gavin Newsom so California has a governor who gets big issues right," by Kevin Faulconer, Feb. 12, 2021
- KQED, "Kevin Faulconer on Running for Governor, Tackling the Pandemic and Voting for Trump," by Scott Shafer, Feb 3, 2021
- Politico, "Former San Diego mayor to officially launch GOP challenge to Newsom," by Carla Marinucci, 02/01/2021
- CBS-TV Sacramento-13, "We Need To Suck It Up And Move Forward: Violence At US Capitol," by Laura Haefeli, January 6, 2021
- San Diego Union Tribune, "Faulconer tried to sidestep gun storage law," by Michael Smolens, Sep. 13, 2019
- The UCSD Guardian, "Candidate for Governor Doug Ose Supports Trump, Opposes Free Tuition," by Tyler Faurot, February 19, 2018
- Sacramento Bee, "Five things you need to know about Doug Ose," by Christopher Cadelago, January 23, 2018
- E! Online, "Caitlyn Jenner on Faith, the Kardashians and Running for Office," by Samantha Schnurr, Apr 26, 2017
- The Atlantic Magazine, "How to Be a Republican Mayor," by Liam Dillon, January 3, 2016
- Also see 2022 regularly-scheduled gubernatorial campaign
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Kevin Faulconer: Pro-choice, pro-marriage equality, pro-gun control.
Budget & Economy|
Kevin Faulconer: COVID: important that we save both lives and livelihoods.
Doug Ose: COVID: Open schools and businesses; get people back to work.
John Cox: Worried about COVID restrictions on hospitality, jobs.
Kevin Faulconer: Put tax dollars to keeping roads smooth and safe.
Kevin Faulconer: Conduct a top-to-bottom review of spending.
Kevin Faulconer: Called on Congress to adopt LGBTQ rights legislation.
Kevin Faulconer: Keep treatment of LGBTQ young adults as sex offenders.
Kevin Faulconer: Get out the message: California is open for business.
Kevin Faulconer: Time to have a governor who is going to put victims first.
Larry Elder: Police are pulling back, afraid of being called racist.
Caitlyn Jenner: I am in favor of the death penalty.
Caitlyn Jenner: Rehabilitate people in prison and bring them back safely.
Caitlyn Jenner: I would use as many forces as I could to stop rioting.
Kevin Faulconer: Won't forget your safety is the government's top priority.
Kevin Faulconer: I strongly support the death penalty in California.
Kevin Faulconer: We didn't defund police, we hired more and kept us safe.
Doug Ose: Build new prisons, oppose reducing of some felonies.
Kevin Paffrath: State bungled legalized cannabis; 80% of sales still illegal.
John Cox: If we have to, we're gonna force people to get treatment.
Kevin Paffrath: Racial disparities in education due to a despair mindset.
Larry Elder: Schools need to purge bad teachers, they inflict damage.
Kevin Faulconer: COVID: School closings not based on science.
Kevin Faulconer: Take a firm stance with teachers unions over COVID closures.
Doug Ose: COVID: Newsom sided with unions to close public schools.
John Cox: I am a school choice advocate; I will push to end tenure.
Kevin Faulconer: Better teacher salaries, give them tools they need.
John Cox: COVID: Let parents utilize open private or public schools.
Doug Ose: College shouldn't be free; it undermines its intrinsic value.
Doug Ose: More emphasis on standardized tests to ensure proficiency.
Energy & Oil|
Kevin Paffrath: Allow reasonable upgrades to existing fuel infrastructure.
Caitlyn Jenner: Skeptical of state goal of zero emissions by 2045.
John Cox: We must employ an all-of-the-above strategy.
Kevin Faulconer: Unleash technological might to become energy independent.
John Cox: Blaming climate change for wildfires unacceptable.
Doug Ose: Government engaged in significant overreach of authority.
Gavin Newsom: COVID: all registered voters receive mail-in ballots.
Kevin Faulconer: Would veto elimination of single-family zoning.
Doug Ose: California did studies instead of building dams & reservoirs.
Caitlyn Jenner: We need to have integrity in our election system.
John Cox: I'm the outsider, not beholden to any donors.
John Cox: Replace Environmental Quality Act to allow building.
Kevin Paffrath: We're as far away from the Second Amendment as you can get.
Kevin Faulconer: Keep California's tight restrictions, no need for changes.
Kevin Faulconer: City gun storage law enacted without his signature.
Doug Ose: COVID: Instead of mandates, give people options.
Gavin Newsom: State employees to get vaccinated or regular testing.
John Cox: Opposed vaccination mandate for health care workers.
Kevin Faulconer: COVID: I do not favor mandates; I favor education.
Kevin Faulconer: COVID: For vaccinating everyone, but not mandating.
John Cox: Public-private partnership to get vaccinations done.
Caitlyn Jenner: Opposed serving in Vietnam: failed physical despite Olympics.
Kevin Paffrath: Our current legal immigration system sucks.
Kevin Faulconer: Repeal Medicaid expansion to undocumented immigrants.
Caitlyn Jenner: Path to citizenship for undocumented; deport "bad ones".
Caitlyn Jenner: For a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
Caitlyn Jenner: Would try to repeal California's sanctuary state status.
Caitlyn Jenner: I am pro-border protection & pro-ICE.
Doug Ose: Set standards for DACA kids, some should be deported.
Kevin Faulconer: DREAMers are living in only country they've ever known.
John Cox: The real, true minimum wage should be zero.
Kevin Faulconer: Make fixing unemployment system top technology project.
Doug Ose: Repeal law that employers provide benefits to more workers.
Doug Ose: Opposed higher minimum wage; base income on productivity.
Kevin Faulconer: Only one-sixth of staff are white, heterosexual males.
John Cox: Build infrastructure for adequate surface water storage.
Principles & Values|
Gavin Newsom: Partisan divisions can smash democracy like an antique vase.
Kevin Paffrath: Recall part of a national referendum on Trumpism.
Republican Party: Democrats outvoted GOP in mail-in ballots.
Kevin Paffrath: YouTube real estate star; politics not a priority.
Caitlyn Jenner: OpEd: Jenner a recluse on public policy.
Caitlyn Jenner: Olympics win not because our system better than any other.
Caitlyn Jenner: I don't like labels, I'm kind of middle of the road.
Caitlyn Jenner: Conservative on economy; progressive on social issues.
Kevin Faulconer: Strive to govern by being as inclusive as possible.
John Cox: I'm against corruption in government and in business.
Kevin Faulconer: I treat people with dignity and respect even if we disagree.
Doug Ose: Riot: For 'patriots to do that,' that really pisses me off.
Caitlyn Jenner: My faith played a very big role in what I'm doing.
Gavin Newsom: Repealed taxes on diapers, menstrual products.
Kevin Faulconer: Helping Our Heroes: exempt military retirement from taxes.
John Cox: I will reduce California's sky-high sales taxes, gas taxes.
Kevin Faulconer: He will veto any tax increase that comes to his desk.
Kevin Faulconer: Incumbent backed higher taxes and destroyed jobs.
Caitlyn Jenner: Spend money on desalinization plants, not high-speed rail.
War & Peace|
Doug Ose: We're not shooting bullets yet, but we are at war with China.
Welfare & Poverty|
Kevin Paffrath: Current system traps people into poverty programs.
John Cox: Public-private partnership with churches can help homeless.
Kevin Faulconer: Cut red tape; promote policies to get people off the street.
The above quotations are from 2021 California Gubernatorial recall.
Next election in 2022 but recall in 2021:
CA 2022 Gubernatorial debate:
Incumbent Gavin Newsom(D)
State Senator Brian Dahle(R)
vs.Rob Bonta for Attorney General(D)
CA 2021 Gubernatorial Recall:
Incumbent Gavin Newsom(D)
vs.Former Gov. nominee John Cox(R)
vs.Former U.S.Rep Doug Ose(R)
vs.Former Olympian Caitlyn Jenner(R)
vs.Radio Host Larry Elder(R)
Past gubernatorial races:
2018 California gubernatorial debate,
L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (D)
State School Chief Delaine Eastin (D)
David Hadley (R)
S.F. Mayor Gavin Newsom (D)
State Treasurer John Chiang (D)
John Cox (R)
State Rep. Travis Allen(R)
Zoltan Istvan (I)
Former gubernatorial races:
2014 California gubernatorial debate
2014 challenger: Neel Kashkari(R)