Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2019 Kentucky Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2019 KY Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Adam Edelen (19) Kentucky Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Alison Grimes (2) Kentucky Democratic candidate for governor
- Andy Beshear (33) Kentucky Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Matt Bevin (13) Kentucky Republican Governor
- Mitch McConnell (1) Republican Sr Senator Kentucky
- Robert Goforth (13) Kentucky Republican challenger for Governor
- Rocky Adkins (9) Kentucky Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Steve Beshear (1) Kentucky Democratic Governor (term-limited 2015)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Kentucky 2019 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- CampusElect.org 2018 Kentucky Governor Guide (Bevin & Beshear), 11/1/2019
- The Dogwood Daily, "Virginia A.G. Mark Herring fights to get Blackjewel miners paid", by Davis Burroughs, 7/17/2019
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "A national abortion rights group just took sides," by Daniel Desrochers, May 20, 2019
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "As governor, I'll fight for our most vulnerable," by Andy Beshear, May 14, 2019
- MSN.com, "Robert Goforth on why he should be governor," 5/10/2019
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Where the candidates stand on abortion, state income tax, and retirement system," 5/10/2019
- InsiderLouisville.com, "La Casita hosts bilingual forum for governor's race," by Lisa Hornung, April 26, 2019
- People Magazine, "Ky. Governor Made Sure His 9 Kids Got Chickenpox 'on Purpose'," by Adam Carlson, March 21, 2019
- RouteFifty.com, "Republican Governors Want Trade War With China Over Quickly," by Dave Nyczepir, Feb. 22, 2019
- Louisville Courier Journal, "Republican moves to allow guns in schools, bars and day cares," by Mandy McLaren, Jan. 9, 2019
- Louisville Courier Journal, "Bevin draws another opponent in Kentucky governor race," by Bill Estep And Jack Brammer, Jan. 08, 2019
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Adam Edelen launches gubernatorial campaign 'for all Kentucky'," by Daniel Desrochers, January 07, 2019
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Andy Beshear to fight ACA ruling," by Thomas Novelly, Dec. 17, 2018
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Matt Bevin calls Kentucky pension ruling an 'unprecedented power grab'," by Thomas Novelly, Dec. 14, 2018
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Pension ruling hands victory to Beshear over Bevin," by Thomas Novelly, Dec. 14, 2018
- ABC-13-WBKO, "Andy Beshear: 2018 year end interview," by Dalton Godbey, Dec 11, 2018
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Beshear to lawmakers: Legalize gambling to help fix pension system," by Tom Loftus, Nov. 26, 2018
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "Things To Know about Rocky Adkins," Nov. 14, 2018
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "10 things to know about Andy Beshear," by Tom Loftus, July 9, 2018
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Father of Alison Lundergan Grimes indicted in campaign finance conspiracy," by Daniel Desrochers and Bill Estep, 5/21/2018
- The Morehead News, "Budget restores money to schools by cigarette, opioid taxes," by Ronnie Ellis, Mar 2, 2018
- The Hill, "Not enough bourbon in Kentucky to make me release voter data," by Max Greenwood, 6/30/17
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Adam Edelen: Abortion rights are vital to ensuring equality for women.
Andy Beshear: Endorsed by NARAL; will defend women's right to choose.
Matt Bevin: I am the most pro-life governor in America.
Rocky Adkins: Voted for several anti-abortion bills.
Adam Edelen: Unwavering support of women's right to health care decisions.
Andy Beshear: I'm pro-choice and I support Roe v. Wade.
Rocky Adkins: Pro-life, but follow the law of the land.
Budget & Economy|
Adam Edelen: Kentucky Kick Start: make Main Streets bustling again.
Robert Goforth: Constitution protects LGBTQ rights.
Andy Beshear: Government works best with a wide range of voices.
Andy Beshear: Marriage equality for whomever you love.
Andy Beshear: 60% of AG leadership were women or minorities.
Matt Bevin: Signed $106 million tax cut for banks & other institutions.
Andy Beshear: No consumption tax on basic needs; but ok on luxury goods.
Robert Goforth: Don't cater exclusively to corporate interests.
Robert Goforth: As business owner and pharmacists, he's a proven job creator.
Robert Goforth: Incarceration comes at a high cost.
Andy Beshear: Justice for cold cases with backlog of untested rape kits.
Adam Edelen: Police departments should reflect diversity of community.
Robert Goforth: Project DARIS: combat drugs by educating students.
Andy Beshear: Legalize medical marijuana; maybe it'll replace opioids.
Adam Edelen: More beds in Kentucky to treat the scourge of addition.
Andy Beshear: Sue opioid manufacturers & distributors who flood market.
Andy Beshear: Funding for prevention; focus on opioid disposal & treatment.
Robert Goforth: My strong public education overcame childhood poverty.
Adam Edelen: Support teachers with pensions and more in classroom.
Adam Edelen: Don't make schools profit centers for charter corporations.
Adam Edelen: Make college affordable to the children of working families.
Andy Beshear: Committed to a world-class public education.
Rocky Adkins: Protect public education from private, for-profit schools.
Andy Beshear: Don't change teacher pensions to 401(k)-style plan.
Matt Bevin: Legislature should decide teacher pensions, not judges.
Matt Bevin: Proposed school cuts of $128M; legislature restored them.
Andy Beshear: Only legislature can implement charters, not Governor.
Andy Beshear: Only legislature can cut state college budget, not Governor.
Matt Bevin: 2% budget cut to state colleges and universities.
Energy & Oil|
Andy Beshear: Climate change is real; develop renewables.
Matt Bevin: Don't subsidize renewables; we didn't cause climate change.
Robert Goforth: Opposes raising electric costs.
Andy Beshear: Focus on "all-of-the-above" and low utility bills.
Adam Edelen: Jobs for out-of-work coal miners in renewable energy.
Adam Edelen: Install solar panels on reclaimed surface mines.
Adam Edelen: Climate change is real; renewables key to tomorrow's jobs.
Andy Beshear: Clean air and clean water underlie everybody's success.
Families & Children|
Andy Beshear: Use A.G. office to rescue victims of human trafficking.
Matt Bevin: Teachers ignore their kids when they protest for pensions.
Andy Beshear: Prosecute 31 active human trafficking cases in Kentucky.
Matt Bevin: 21st century reality means re-negotiating with China.
Robert Goforth: Restore Felon Voting Rights.
Andy Beshear: Fight for every Kentuckian's right to vote.
Adam Edelen: Zero Tolerance: put crooked politicians behind bars.
Adam Edelen: Restore Kentucky Commission on Women; 50% women in Cabinet.
Andy Beshear: State government operates in secret: push for transparency.
Alison Grimes: Presidential Commission on Election Integrity is a sham.
Matt Bevin: Culture of violence, like zombie shows, cause mass shootings.
Matt Bevin: School shootings caused by "culture of death" in media.
Mitch McConnell: Congress cannot fix school shootings; must act locally.
Robert Goforth: Expand coverage to help fellow Kentuckians.
Andy Beshear: Protections for pre-existing conditions; stop lifetime caps.
Matt Bevin: Parents should be free to vaccinate their children or not.
Adam Edelen: Protect ObamaCare and expanded Medicaid.
Rocky Adkins: No one should ever have to delay care to pay bills.
Andy Beshear: Protect ObamaCare: lives hang in the balance.
Rocky Adkins: Survived cancer at age 35, with chemo & surgery.
Adam Edelen: Think about human impact of anti-immigrant laws.
Andy Beshear: Intimidation and fear of deportation comes out of DC.
Andy Beshear: Repay miners who remain unpaid due to mine bankruptcy.
Andy Beshear: Grow our economy with skill training, not CEO giveaways.
Andy Beshear: Wrong that women make significantly less than men.
Andy Beshear: Support prevailing wage law; oppose Right-To-Work laws.
Adam Edelen: Ensure that Kentucky workers are paid a living wage.
Rocky Adkins: Focus on fair wages for 21st century jobs.
Andy Beshear: Supports state gaming to pay for state pensions.
Matt Bevin: Opposes state gaming to pay for state pensions.
Steve Beshear: 2007: pushed for casino gambling; 2018: son doing same.
Principles & Values|
Robert Goforth: Self-description: Christian; father; veteran; conservative.
Andy Beshear: Kickback investigation resulted in deputy's resignation.
Alison Grimes: Father indicted for illegal campaign contributions to Alison.
Adam Edelen: Fully fund government pensions; reform state system.
Andy Beshear: No cuts to government pensions; find other revenue.
Robert Goforth: Fulfill state pensions--they're inviolable contracts.
Rocky Adkins: No new burdens on people who've paid into pensions.
Andy Beshear: State gaming will cover $43B unfunded state pension plan.
Matt Bevin: More state contribution to $43B unfunded state pension plan.
Andy Beshear: Add new revenue sources like casino gambling.
Adam Edelen: No increased tax burden on poor and working Kentuckians.
Robert Goforth: Numbers don't add up to switch income tax to sales tax.
Rocky Adkins: Consumption taxes are unfair to lower income people.
Adam Edelen: Modernize to new economy including rural broadband internet.
Rocky Adkins: Improve our roads, bridges, water systems, and Internet.
Welfare & Poverty|
Robert Goforth: We cannot ignore the plight of people who need our help.
The above quotations are from 2019 Kentucky Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Next election 2023; past gubernatorial races:
2019 Kentucky gubernatorial debate:
Former gubernatorial races:
2015 Kentucky Gubernatorial debates:
Matt Bevin (R)
Jack Conway (D)
Former Louisville Councilman Hal Heiner (R)
2018-19 Governors' book excerpts:
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by Governor Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)