Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Ohio Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 OH Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Betty Sutton (1) Ohio Democratic candidate for Lt.Governor
- Connie Pillich (3) Ohio Democratic candidate for Governor
- Dennis Kucinich (2) Ohio Democratic candidate for Governor
- Jim Renacci (12) Ohio Republican candidate for Governor (switched to Senate race)
- Joe Schiavoni (4) Ohio Democratic candidate for Ohio Governor
- John Kasich (18) Ohio Republican Governor
- Jon Husted (6) Ohio Republican candidate for Ohio Governor
- Mary Taylor (4) Ohio Republican candidate for Governor
- Mike DeWine (19) Ohio Republican candidate for Governor
- Nan Whaley (6) Ohio Democratic candidate for Ohio Governor
- Richard Cordray (32) Ohio Democratic candidate for governor of Ohio
- Sierra Club (2)
- Ted Strickland (1) Ohio Former Democratic Governor (2006-2010)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Ohio 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- The Cincinnati Enquirer, “Kasich spares record number of death row inmates,” by Andrew Welsh-Huggins, July 30, 2018
- The Columbus Dispatch, "Taylor will champion parental rights in light of Cincinnati," by Darrel Rowland, Feb 26, 2018
- Cincinnati Enquirer , "Taylor picks former P&G executive as her running mate," by Jessie Balmert, Jan. 9, 2018
- Fremont News-Messenger, “Kasich not backing bailout for Ohio nuclear plants,” by John Seewer, Aug. 21, 2017
- WFMJ.com, "Youngstown's LBGTQ community marches as President proposes transgender ban," by Janet Rogers, Jul 29, 2017
- U.S. News and World Report, "Save Medicaid, Save Lives," by Nan Whaley, July 24, 2017
- US News & World Report, "Husted Will Deny Trump Panel Some Voter Data." by Julie Carr Smyth, June 30, 2017
- Dayton Daily News, "Husted endorsed by gun-rights group," by Larry Budd, May 24, 2017
- Toledo Blade, "Husted stresses education needs," by Ignazio Messina, May 23, 2017
- Chillicothe Gazette, "Husted eyes future in local campaign stop," by Chris Balusik, May 11, 2017
- Newark Advocate, "Husted addresses Newark GOP," by Sydney Murray, May 10, 2017
- Dayton Daily News, "Who is Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley?", by Cory Frolik, May 8, 2017
- Washington Post, "Eradicate North Korean leadership," 4/28/2017
- Dayton Daily News, "Kucinich goes after charter schools", by Lynn Hulsey, April 24, 2017
- The Columbus Dispatch, "Taylor steps down as insurance director," by Randy Ludlow, Mar 31, 2017
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer, “Kasich says medical marijuana plays no role in fighting Ohio's opioid crisis,” Mar 30, 2017
- The Vindicator, "Schiavoni addresses health care, other issues," by Sean Barron March 26, 2017
- Dayton Daily News, "Renacci jumps into 'Ohio First' campaign," by Laura A. Bischoff, March 20, 2017
- Toledo Blade, "DeWine takes aim at opioid abuse," by Ryan Dunn, Jan. 28, 2017
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer, “Kasich wins strong support from environmentalists for green mandates,” Dec 27, 2016
- Washington Post, “Why I asked John Kasich what he hears when he hears 'Black Lives Matter',” by Jonathan Capehart, April 21, 2016
- Rewire.com, "Kasich Claims It Is 'Absolutely Unacceptable' When Women Can't Access Reproductive Care," by Ally Boguhn, Mar 30, 2016
- The Cincinnati Enquirer, “Kasich signs 'ban the box' into law,” by Fatima Hussein, Dec. 23, 2015
- Toledo Blade, “Kasich: 'All the above' energy approach,” by Jim Provance, Oct. 20, 2015
- LeanInOhio.com , "Interview with Mayor Nan Whaley," by Julene Allen, Oct 16, 2015
- Huffington Post, “Kasich Has No Idea Where He Stands On Campaign Finance Reform,” by Igor Bobic, 8/12/2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Mike DeWine: Supports "fetal heartbeat" law (abortion ban after 6 weeks).
Mike DeWine: Supports heartbeat bill (no abortion after 6 weeks).
Richard Cordray: Women's right to make their own personal decisions.
Betty Sutton: Constitutionally protected decisions about personal health.
Dennis Kucinich: Change of heart: I support a woman's right to choose.
Joe Schiavoni: I trust women to make their own medical decisions.
Richard Cordray: Support abortion rights; fight for Planned Parenthood.
Jim Renacci: Opposes abortion and gay marriage.
John Kasich: Cut $1.3M in funding for discredited Planned Parenthood.
Budget & Economy|
Mike DeWine: Make Ohio a low tax, low regulation state.
Jon Husted: Liberation from Feds can reduce other problems.
Richard Cordray: A look back at the recession demands common sense reforms.
Mike DeWine: Opposes sexual identity in anti-discrimination laws.
Richard Cordray: Long-term supporter of gay marriage.
Mary Taylor: Disallow minors to initiate gender transition without parent.
Mary Taylor: Running-mate Nathan Estruth led anti-gay-rights campaign.
Nan Whaley: Presided over one of first Ohio gay marriages.
Joe Schiavoni: LGBT students are like everyone else.
Nan Whaley: Being young & female in politics offers unique leadership.
Richard Cordray: Ran Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Richard Cordray: Nurture small businesses rooted in local communities.
Richard Cordray: Developed guidelines to protect consumers from data breaches.
Jim Renacci: Reduce the corporate tax rate to 25%, and individuals too.
John Kasich: Spared 7 death-row inmates; executed 15 more.
Ted Strickland: Spared 5 death-row inmates; executed 17 more.
Connie Pillich: Worked as public defender, and challenged predatory lenders.
Jim Renacci: Opposes capital punishment.
John Kasich: Black Lives Matter means the system doesn't work for them.
John Kasich: Police must understand challenges of black community.
John Kasich: Ban the box: no criminal history check on job applications.
Richard Cordray: Endorsements by law enforcement reflects his efforts as AG.
Mike DeWine: Opposes recreational marijuana; opposes Ballot issue 1.
Richard Cordray: Can't arrest way out of opioid crisis.
Mike DeWine: Keep low-level drug use a felony instead of a misdemeanor.
Richard Cordray: Make low-level drug use a misdemeanor; treatment not prison.
Richard Cordray: We cannot arrest our way out of opioid crisis: tackle causes.
Mary Taylor: Focus on prevention and reducing the supply of drugs.
Nan Whaley: Ohio's heroin epidemic caused by drug companies.
Jon Husted: If #1 in jobs & education, Ohio wouldn't be #1 in opioids.
John Kasich: No mixed message: don't do opioids & don't do marijuana.
John Kasich: 2016: Legalized medical marijuana, with tight regulations.
Mike DeWine: Age-appropriate discussions in Kindergarten thru 12th grade.
Mike DeWine: Supports charter schools; supports vouchers.
Mike DeWine: Improve college affordability; new STEM funding.
Richard Cordray: More funding for universal pre-K; no funding charters.
Richard Cordray: Free community college for all Ohioans.
Richard Cordray: Future job skills begin with investment in education system.
Jim Renacci: Top-down, one-size-fits-all approach has proven ineffective.
Dennis Kucinich: Charter schools are a multi-billion dollar boondoogle.
Energy & Oil|
Mike DeWine: Challenged Obama's Clean Power Plan.
Richard Cordray: Climate change threatens Great Lakes & Ohio farms.
Richard Cordray: Clean energy provides jobs AND improves air quality.
John Kasich: Balance low-cost & environment by pursuing all sources.
John Kasich: Supports Keystone XL, clean coal; and "smart grid".
John Kasich: No state bailout for aging nuclear plants.
John Kasich: Nuclear power is yesterday; natural gas represents tomorrow.
Jim Renacci: We cannot afford to halt or discourage domestic exploration.
Joe Schiavoni: Continue oil, gas exploration, but safer fracking.
John Kasich: Keep state mandate on renewable energy.
Sierra Club: Mandated renewable energy standards instead of voluntary.
Sierra Club: Renewable energy creates jobs AND improves air quality.
John Kasich: Mandate that electric utilities use at least 8.5% renewables.
John Kasich: All-of-the-above approach, with stepped-up fossil fuels.
John Kasich: Open more federal lands to oil and natural gas exploration.
Jim Renacci: Reduce Washington's adversarial red tape on farms.
Families & Children|
Mike DeWine: Religious employers may exclude contraception from insurance.
Richard Cordray: Require contraception as part of all employer health plans.
Richard Cordray: Focus on kitchen table issues & improving family life.
Jon Husted: American family is broken without two loving parents.
John Kasich: Re-prioritize family planning funds away from abortion.
Mike DeWine: Opposed McCain-Feingold bill limiting political donations.
Mike DeWine: Supports purging voter rolls.
Richard Cordray: Limit political donations from corporations & unions.
Richard Cordray: The right to vote is vital to our democracy.
Jon Husted: States should police elections, not Feds.
Jim Renacci: End campaign contributions that lead to government contracts.
John Kasich: A handful of billionaires should not decide who is president.
John Kasich: Deal with fundraising influencing voting decisions.
Mike DeWine: Supports stand-your-ground; opposes bump stock ban.
Richard Cordray: Universal background checks & bump stock ban.
Richard Cordray: Wants gun control laws at both state and local levels.
Jon Husted: Endorsed by gun group, supports "right to protect".
Mike DeWine: Repeal ObamaCare; add work requirements to Medicare.
Richard Cordray: Expand Medicaid and ObamaCare.
Richard Cordray: ObamaCare saves lives and improves health.
Nan Whaley: Medicaid crucial to helping addicts; don't throw people off.
Jim Renacci: Competition & tort reform instead of ObamaCare.
Joe Schiavoni: Against military transgender ban.
Connie Pillich: Advocate for veterans, financially and community.
Jim Renacci: Ensure Armed Forces have resources they need; end sequester.
Mike DeWine: Supports DREAMers; but let President decide.
Richard Cordray: Pathways to citizenship for all immigrants who love America.
Jim Renacci: Supports border wall for Mexico plus temporary travel ban.
Mike DeWine: Let states decide on minimum wage.
Richard Cordray: No right-to-work law (keep mandated union dues).
Richard Cordray: Raise minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025.
Richard Cordray: Endorsed by unions: Give control back to workers.
Principles & Values|
Connie Pillich: Announced candidacy on route of Cincinnati Women's March.
Mary Taylor: Served as Director of Insurance, while Lt. Governor.
Jim Renacci: OhioFirst: the day of the career politicians needs to change.
Richard Cordray: Develop consumer tools to use with Social Security decisions.
Mike DeWine: Supports Trump tax cuts; exempt capital gains taxes.
Richard Cordray: Trump tax cuts were a terrible deal that helps the wealthy.
Richard Cordray: Does not back tax bill; not enough benefit to middle class.
Nan Whaley: Shift tax burden to rich.
Jim Renacci: Our tax code is broken; comprehensive reform needed.
Mike DeWine: Preserve Net Neutrality (tiered access to Internet).
Richard Cordray: Supports Net Neutrality (equal access to Internet).
Jon Husted: States must focus on high tech future.
War & Peace|
Nan Whaley: U.S. should take in Syrian refugees.
The above quotations are from 2018 Ohio Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)